On CNN Tuesday morning, Haley declared, “There is no room for hate in this country” and said she had shared her views on Charlottesville with the president.
Monday’s total solar eclipse captivated the nation and dominated news coverage, but not every anchor was as delighted, or even interested, as their audience.
By Angus Berwick BARCELONA, Spain (Reuters) - Spain asked the rest of Europe to join the hunt for a young man thought to have been the driver in last week's deadly van attack in Barcelona as police said on Monday that he had also hijacked a car and killed its occupant during his escape. After driving at high speed into crowds on the city's famous avenue Las Ramblas last Thursday, killing 13 people, the suspected Islamist militant fled on foot and then hijacked the car as it was being parked, stabbing the driver to death, police said. The suspect, Moroccan-born Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, then drove the hijacked car through a police checkpoint, police said.
US Navy and Marine Corps divers have entered the flooded compartments of the USS John S McCain and found the remains of some of the 10 sailors missing since it collided with an oil tanker off the coast of Singapore. The collision tore a hole in the warship's waterline, flooding compartments including a crew sleeping area, the US Navy said. It comes after the US Navy ordered an "operational pause" of its fleet across the world after the crash.
Breitbart News had a clear message for President Donald Trump following his speech on the war in Afghanistan Monday night: His voter base is not happy.
Louise Linton hit back at an Instagram user who chided her after she tagged her designer wardrobe.
A man who rammed a car into two bus shelters in southern France on Monday, killing at least one person, was known to police for minor crimes and had psychological issues, a police source said.
A dead Moroccan imam has become a key target of the probe into Spain's twin terror attacks, suspected of having created the cell in a picturesque town near the Spanish Pyrenees that allegedly launched the deadly assaults last week. The blast likely changed the plans of the attackers, who instead used vehicles to smash into pedestrians on Barcelona's busy Las Ramblas boulevard and in the seaside resort town of Cambrils. "On Tuesday morning, he left saying he was going on vacation to Morocco," said fruit-seller Nordeen El Haji, 45, who four months ago moved into the apartment that Satty occupied in Ripoll.
Savannah Leckie disappeared in late July
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's atomic chief said Tuesday the Islamic Republic needs only five days to ramp up its uranium enrichment to 20 percent, a level at which the material could quickly be further enriched for use in a nuclear weapon.
The 'Great American Eclipse' captivated millions around the world - it was the most-observed and most-photographed eclipse in history. However, if you misssed it, do not despair: the next eclipse takes place on July 2, 2019 - crossing Chile and Argentina. Great American eclipse, in pictures And Americans won't have to wait long for the next US eclipse - an event that many scientists believe will be even more impressive than Monday's natural wonder. Britons will have to wait somewhat longer. Great American eclipse, in pictures Chile and Argentina are next An eclipse on July 2, 2019 will span a huge arc across the southern Pacific, before crossing South America. The moon is expected to block out the sun for up to 4 minutes and 33 seconds over Chile and Argentina - far longer than Monday's 'Great American Eclipse', which lasted a little more than two minutes in the path of totality. Chile and Argentina also have the good fortune of being under the path of a total eclipse the following year, in 2020. The Second Great American Eclipse Americans will have to wait less than seven years for the next total solar eclipse - an event that scientists predict will top the August 21 2017 event. The path of the total eclipse will travel through Mexico, Texas and up across the highly-populated north-east of the US. The April 8, 2024 eclipse will pass over cities such as Austin, Dallas, Cleveland, New York, and Montreal. It will hit Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, which also witnessed the total eclipse on Monday. The university has branded itself "The Eclipse Crossroads of America". The last total eclipse in the US was 38 years ago. How about the UK? It's a long time before there'll be another total solar eclipse in the UK - 73 years to be precise. There have been just eight total eclipses in Britain across the past five centuries. 1999 was the last one, which was visible in Devon and Cornwall. There won't be another until September 23, 2090. Other notable forthcoming eclipses 2021: Antarctica 2026: the Arctic, Greenland, Iceland, Spain 2027: Morocco, Spain, Algeria, Libya, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Somalia 2028: Australia, New Zealand 2030: Botswana, South Africa, Australia To keep updated, Nasa keeps a record of every solar eclipse that will take place over the next 1,000 years.
Donald Trump’s Department of the Interior has told the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine to stop studying the effects of coal mining on health. A branch of the interior department – the office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement – was funding an inquiry into the potential correlation between increased human health risks and living near surface coal mine sites in Central Appalachia. Coal mining in Central Appalachia, where the committee’s work is focused, includes mountaintop removal in which peaks have been blasted off.
By Arshad Mohammed and Warren Strobel WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States has decided to deny Egypt $95.7 million in aid and to delay a further $195 million because of its failure to make progress on respecting human rights and democratic norms, two sources familiar with the matter said on Tuesday. The decision reflects a U.S. desire to continue security cooperation as well as frustration with Cairo's stance on civil liberties, notably a new law that regulates non-governmental organizations that is widely seen as part a growing crackdown on dissent, said the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity. U.S. officials were especially unhappy that Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in May allowed the NGO law to go into effect.
Louise Linton, the 36-year-old Scottish actress newly wedded to Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, sparked a national kerfuffle Monday when she got into a spat with one of her Instagram followers.
Former Army intelligence analyst and transgender activist Chelsea Manning responded in the best way Monday night to a violent message she received on Twitter.
An alleged member of the terror cell that unleashed carnage in Spain last week admitted to a judge Tuesday that he and other suspects had planned a bigger attack, a judicial source said. Mohamed Houli Chemlal, 21, was the first of four surviving suspects to be questioned in Madrid's National Court, which deals with terror-related cases, over the attacks in Barcelona and a seaside resort that claimed 15 lives and wounded more than 100 people. The Spaniard was injured in an accidental explosion at a makeshift bomb factory on Wednesday evening that killed an imam, Abdelbaki Es Satty, thought to have radicalised him and other young suspects.
Rocio Cortes Nunez, 25, had just given birth to her third child when she was killed in a freak hospital accident.
Donald Trump will announce his decision on America’s strategy in Afghanistan in an address to US troops and the nation on 21 August, almost 16 years after the war began. Donald Trump will address the nation on Monday night as he lays out his strategy for the continuing US involvement in the war in Afghanistan. What is Trump expected to say about Afghanistan tonight?
Kian Delos Santos, a 17-year-old high school student, was shot to death by police officers last week. He is just one of thousands that have fallen victim to the Philippines' president Rodrigo Duterte's harsh crackdown on drugs. Yet his death has sparked a new wave of outrage across the country, with many finally speaking out and calling for an end to the killings. SEE ALSO: Philippine president compares himself to Hitler in his latest offensive comment According to police officials, Delos Santos was in his hometown of Caloocan city last Tuesday, when he pulled out a gun and opened fire when he saw officers approaching as part of an anti-drug raid. The policemen shot back, fatally. But security footage later emerged, showing the boy being dragged away by two officers to a place where his body was later found. Eyewitnesses say that he was framed, and was handed a gun and ordered to run by police officers. According to reports, rogue Philippine police have in the past been accused of framing, extorting and murdering people under the cover of the recent anti-drug campaign. Delos Santos' family says he was "mercilessly shot" by police while pleading for his life. Saldy Delos Santos, father of the 17 year-old student Kian Loyd stands next to the coffin of his sonImage: AFP/Getty ImagesDelos Santos was described as being a hardworking and studious boy who had no involvement in drugs. He wanted to be a policeman when he grew up. His death has led to the suspension of the police chief in Caloocan city, and an ongoing investigation into the incident by the Department of Justice. Although the case is pending, the public outrage has hit a boiling point. Church leaders have criticised the government's campaign, and began ringing church bells for 15 minutes every night for three months to raise alarm over the killings. Public protests have also taken place, with protesters marching to the site where he was gunned down. Last night at the rally. #JusticeForKian pic.twitter.com/TMcOwVgD9e — Ralf Lagleva (@ralfml) August 22, 2017 Online, people were equally enraged, and the hashtag #JusticeForKian has begun trending in the Philippines: At 17, I cried for failing a quiz.At 17, Kian Delos Santos cried for his life.#JusticeForKian — Ken O. Montejo (@kenmontejo) August 19, 2017 Kian can be anything he wants to be, a doctor or an engineer. But Duterte reduced him to a mere statistic. #JusticeForKian pic.twitter.com/01BVS1Zi72 — don r.b. (@donthebasher) August 18, 2017 Kian Delos Santos, a boy who dreamt of becoming a policeman killed by one #JusticeForKian pic.twitter.com/8E756MeTlt — Deb Javier (@debjavs) August 18, 2017 If you are not outraged, you are not paying attention.#StopTheKillings #JusticeForKian pic.twitter.com/7EGEcAQMVG — Vhiyn Beato (@vhiynbeato) August 18, 2017 How do you even sleep at night knowing you killed an innocent lad? Shame. #JusticeForKian — Kim Sayson (@kimalmajeda) August 18, 2017 Back on the streets, for democracy, for freedom, for Kian. Ituloy ang laban! #JusticeForKian pic.twitter.com/59lNiCSmqR — PJ Foronda-Tanglao (@forondatanglao) August 22, 2017 What is the 'war on drugs' in the Philippines that everyone's talking about? As of the beginning of 2017, more than 7,000 people have been killed since President Duterte launched his 'war' on drugs last year, according to Human rights group Amnesty International. The controversial campaign was aimed at wiping out the drug trade in the Philippines, but has resulted in a huge number of deaths. Amnesty have also accused Philippine police of planning extrajudicial killings. According to the group, officers have planted evidence and falsified reports, receiving "financial incentives" for the killings and a payment for each death. Some 32 people were killed last Tuesday alone in drug raids, believed to be the highest death toll in a day under the campaign. President Duterte praised the crackdown, saying that if the country "could kill another 32 every day, then maybe we can reduce what ails this country." He has previously said that he was "happy to slaughter" drug users and dismissed the death of children as "collateral damage." On Delos Santos' death, he said he was in support of the investigation, adding that he saw the CCTV footage of the incident. "Should the investigation point to liabilities...there will be a prosecution and they have to go to jail if convicted," he said. WATCH: This jacket uses solar power to give off a Kryptonite-like glow in the dark
Donald Trump’s former right-hand man Steve Bannon has already begun attacking his former colleagues less than a week after he was ousted from the White House. The former White House chief strategist returned to Breitbart, the far-right website, where he had been executive chairman before joining the Trump campaign, on Friday. Just two days later the website launched an attack on National Security Adviser HR McMaster as soft on Islamist extremism and terrorism.
We can't wait for this truck.
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on Tuesday that Pakistan must adopt a different approach to terrorism and the United States will condition its support on Islamabad's delivering results in this area. "There's been an erosion in trust because we have witnessed terrorist organizations being given safe haven inside of Pakistan to plan and carry out attacks against U.S. servicemen, U.S. officials, disrupting peace efforts inside of Afghanistan," Tillerson told reporters in the State Department.
That’s how long two Oregon men say they looked at a partial solar eclipse with their naked eyes 55 years ago before it burned their retinas, causing permanent blindness.
The great white hung around for about a half hour, stealing fish from the area.
The Barcelona terror cell behind last week's van attack planned to use explosives against major monuments including the city's famous Sagrada Familia church, one of the suspects has told a court. Mohamed Houli Chemlal, 21, who survived an explosion at an alleged bomb factory the day before the van atrocities said the Islamist gang had been preparing “an attack of larger dimensions”. He had known of the plans for an attack "at least two months ago", he added. A Spanish High Court judge last night jailed two of the four suspects, Chemlal and Driss Oukabir, charged with membership of a terrorist organisation, murder and possession of explosives. Mohamed Houli Chemlal, one of four arrested in relation to the terrorist attacks in Catalonia is taken to the Audiencia Nacional court in Madrid Credit: EFE A third suspect, Salh El Karib, who ran an internet cafe in the town of Ripoll, where most of the members of the cell lived, was remanded in police custody pending further investigation. The fourth suspect, Mohamed Aalla, will be released on certain conditions. Chemlal, who was injured when an explosion ripped through a house in the town of Alcanar, south of Barcelona, last Wednesday, appeared yesterday at the National Court in Madrid, still dressed in blue hospital pyjamas. The blast is believed to have killed two other members of the cell, including the imam thought to be the mastermind behind the plot, which left 15 people dead and scores injured. The court yesterday heard that a plane ticket to Brussels belonging to the imam, Abdelbaki Es Satty, was found in the rubble of the house. An Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant document was also found at the site of the blast. Spanish Civil Guards escort a man accused of involvement in the Spanish Islamist cell Credit: JUAN MEDINA/Reuters Isil claimed responsibility for the van attack that and a separate deadly assault, hours later, in the coastal resort of Cambrils, south of Barcelona. Earlier, it emerged that Es Satty, a Moroccan national, was told he was to be expelled from Spain, after leaving prison in April 2014 following a conviction for drug smuggling. But the Islamic preacher, 42, won an appeal against the decision by convincing a judge his forced deportation was not in line with international law. Terror in Spain: Dozens killed and injured in Barcelona and Cambrils Chemlal told the court the terrorist cell had been building bombs in the house, but their plans were foiled when an explosion tore through the property, killing two of his co-conspirators, including Es Satty. Chemlal told the judge the imam had wanted to blow himself up while two other suspects "blamed the imam for the plot while another two denied knowing him", a judicial source said. It was also claimed that Driss Oukabir, the older brother of one of the dead terrorists, told the investigating judge that he had hired the vans used in the attacks. Younes Abouyaaqoub was shot dead in a dramatic end to a massive manhunt Credit: EPA/SPANISH MINISTRY OF THE INTERIOR Last week, he reportedly told police his ID and documents had been stolen by his brother, Moussa, 17, but it is now understood that while he admits hiring the vans, he will claim he thought they were to be used for removals. There is mounting anger in Spain over claims that Es Satty should not have even been in the country. He was jailed for four years in 2010 after being caught smuggling hashish between Morocco and Spain. Police: Suspect in Barcelona van attack shot dead 00:48 While in prison, it is thought he became close to Rachid Aglif, aka The Rabbit, one of the ringleaders of the 2004 Madrid train bombings which left 192 people dead. In line with Spanish immigration laws, as a foreign-born national who had been convicted and sentenced to more than a year in prison, Es Satty should have been expelled from the country on his release from jail. But he challenged the ruling and managed to persuade a judge that deportation would breach his international rights. Terror timeline - Ramming attacks involving vehicles